CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!

Go down 
+67
Stockslivevan
ArcadeJimmy
Chief Zabu
Bucho
Mondguy
DailyRich
Dock Fight
boone daniels
commodorejohn
Call Me Roy Again
Belloq87
Judas Booth
Maxwell Patterson
Roke
Mr Saxon
ska oreo
adynate
Jones
Pither
Onemanmust
First Class 782
Glisten
Totalpackage
Misfit
Subotai
Chaz Rock City
Evi
Doc Happenin
schweiner
Bartleby_Scriven
Kyle Reese 3
jhp168
Iron Maiden
bailey
MikeK
Owen
VTRan
GojiraCrunch
anjinash
Hammerhead
McIrish
bigbrother
turingmachine75
Molt Prime
wd40
Slim
atomtastic
Dani Reasor
HP Pufncraft
themanatarms
justinslot
Schwartz
Sean Blackwell
Mangy
Chewie Of Borg
simohawk
SithHunter
Bane
Crimson-X
Lord Sesuken
Nikon949
Kit-Kat
bmw_666
The Star Treker
Darth Symbiote
Demotos
sithlindy
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Belloq87

Belloq87

Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 1:47 pm

Call Me Roy Again wrote:
It’s just as easy to do the same thing over here without the “well, you guys just don’t appreciate ANYTHING” attitude.

Sure, but if some people are here and some people are there, that's not ideal.
Back to top Go down
boone daniels

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Belloq87 wrote:
Call Me Roy Again wrote:
It’s just as easy to do the same thing over here without the “well, you guys just don’t appreciate ANYTHING” attitude.

Here's the thing, though, and let me put on my board history hat for a moment: this is, without a doubt, part of "the cycle."

I'm trying to be delicate about this, because there's an element to it where I feel hypocritical about it, but people have been leaving the boards to form alternate communities that include, in some small part, gossiping/talking shit for literal decades. I'm probably one of the only people who remembers that Devin himself had a site - devincf.com - with boards attached to it, including a space to talk about the site. That was before DF basically took the reins at CHUD. Then there was the migration that happened around The Fake Life, where some of the more formerly prominent voices had a board. I think that may have been tied to one of the earlier times NN talked about shutting the boards down.

Now it appears to be on Facebook, with former members who will remain nameless gleefully sharing the death throes of TC or whatever. And I say that I fully recognize that it makes me hypocritical to talk about this, because I have unquestionably been a part of all those aforementioned communities.

However, it should also be noted that there are people out there with genuine grievances about NN and the way he's chosen to run his business, including not paying people on time. Again, trying to be delicate, but it seems like that was a not uncommon occurrence that led to the decline of the site. And in large part, the reason these alternate sites or communities sprung up was because people genuinely tried to air their grievances or offer suggestions and were rebuffed, time and time again, because of ego or whatever. Who knows. But there's a reason those other places sprung up.

So I recognize the hypocrisy here, but I'm also sympathetic to NN - I realized recently how much it sucks to have known that people were talking shit about you and feeling like you couldn't do anything about it.

It's not ideal that some people are there and some people are here, but this has all happened before, and will all happen again, and unfortunately, you kind of have to make your peace with that, because this is a cycle based on an unwillingness to change.

I'll just say this. The heart and spirit of what has made these communities great has been the particular approach NN has brought to things. But it's also been the way that you and I, Belloq, who likely agree on very little outside of movies, can come together to talk about movies (or theme park rides). Or the way Richard loves Spielberg, LOTR, and many other things that he approaches with what I think of is a boundless, almost inspiring optimism. Or Judas and his love for Rush (both the band and the Ron Howard movie). Or the way that Stocks has stepped up to create this community. And of course, everything that happened with Jacob. I don't need to make too big of a speech, but what these "last days" have reminded me is how much the soul of this space has always been just that - the community. The people.

Anyway, I'm probably too over invested in this and projecting, so I want to reiterate that I'm trying to be as delicate as possible while providing some context because I have a weird brain for this kind of thing. I think a big reason why I remember all of this shit is because I've been so invested in this place for almost two decades that I really do want to see it succeed, but it feels like that's a goal that is increasingly further and further away.

A wise man once said, and I'm paraphrasing here:

"CHUD is not a place. Never was. It's a people. This could be CHUD. CHUD is where our people stand. And occasionally talk shit about Jay Jay and Clom."

Last edited by boone daniels on Fri May 06, 2022 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Belloq87, Hammerhead, DailyRich, Bucho, Doc Happenin and Chaz Rock City like this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 2:48 pm

While I don't want to regularly encourage CD turning into a survivors forum from TC, I do understand.

I found the latest response from Nick that thread to be very frustrating. We've been asking for all of those things literally for years. Why is he suddenly interested in doing those? Why should we believe he's sincere in the ask? And why is he chiming in so irregularly, instead of proactively and reliably interacting with the remaining board members?

Not really asking for answers (though opinions are welcome). Just expressing some frustration.

I'm really happy folks have migrated here (but not in the sense that I'm happy about division or divided loyalties). I hope we can make CD a good new home. It'll never be exactly same (and we shouldn't try to make it so) but it can be a good "instead of" place to go.
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 2:56 pm

boone daniels wrote:
Or the way Richard loves Spielberg, LOTR, and many other things that he approaches with what I think of is a boundless, almost inspiring optimism.

I say with all sincerity that this is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me.

I'll be honest -- if it wasn't for this place and the Discord, I'd probably grit my teeth and stick it out over there simply because those boards would be the only place I'd have to interact with a lot of you whose opinions and personalities I've come to enjoy. But with the Discord server having become an incredibly robust forum and the effort it appears is being put into making this place just as robust -- and with neither having an overriding presence who seems to resent their existence when they're not singing his praises -- the decision to cut the CHUD cord came a whole lot more easily.

boone daniels likes this post

Back to top Go down
boone daniels

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:04 pm

I could do a very long list of things I learned from these communities, but I have to admit that when I sit down to watch movies, I always try and think "well, this could be good, who knows?" It's the wanting it to be good rather than bad that I picked up from you, RD.

DailyRich likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:06 pm

Rich, let me second boone's sentiments. I'm sure I annoy the living hell out of you a lot with my somewhat jaded approach to films, especially the MCU and SW, but like boone, I support and appreciate where you come from, and your mindset serves as a good and needed counterpoint on how one can appreciate movies.

DailyRich likes this post

Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 4:29 pm

I love that I'm known for loving Rush (the band and the movie).  Seriously, if that's my name association, I can be very content.  Thanks for that, Boone.  Smile

The people that I care about are on Discord or have made the move here.  There are maybe one or two people absent but I'm sure they'll open up accounts here at some point.  I just care about you guys, not the place.

Mondguy and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Dock Fight wrote:
Rich, let me second boone's sentiments. I'm sure I annoy the living hell out of you a lot with my somewhat jaded approach to films, especially the MCU and SW, but like boone, I support and appreciate where you come from, and your mindset serves as a good and needed counterpoint on how one can appreciate movies.

YOU'RE jaded? I wonder what that makes myself by comparison.
Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 5:10 pm

Dock Fight wrote:
Just wanted to say to stocks and other folks: sorry about not being super active on these boards this week. Work's been rough and it's felt like every evening has had multiple RL obligations.

I'm really appreciative of stocks doing this, and glad for the folks who are here. I'm around but it may be a bit before I post as often as I did at TC.

No need to be sorry. We all have our own lives outside of the forums and can only do so much. I just got home from vacation and can now really get to organizing the sections and aesthetics on a PC once I’m active on there. I’ve only been able to tinker a few things but more can be done.

I want to reiterate that I’m pretty floored by how many have registered. You’ve all done more than enough to get this place rolling. I was going to continue posting at TC until what seemed to be an inevitable ending, but now I’m starting to lean with where Rich, Dock/Gordon etc are on just sticking here. It really sucks, but like Rich said you just gotta pull the band aid off.

Call Me Roy Again and Mondguy like this post

Back to top Go down
https://countingdown.forumotion.com
Bucho

Bucho

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 6:23 pm

Dock Fight wrote:

AND MY AXE!!!

I've said before I've tried to be more like Richard Dickson over the years, and I've meant it.

DailyRich and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
Chief Zabu

Chief Zabu

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 7:39 pm

The place is starting to look good, Stocks! Thanks for your efforts.

Stockslivevan and Mondguy like this post

Back to top Go down
ArcadeJimmy

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptySat May 07, 2022 7:51 am

Chief Zabu wrote:
The place is starting to look good, Stocks! Thanks for your efforts.

Agree! Really appreciate you letting everyone come and hang out here Stocks! Starting to feel like my go to daily check in.
Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptySat May 07, 2022 1:55 pm

Belloq87 wrote:
Call Me Roy Again wrote:

I get that. But that fragmentation only came from repeated instances of Nicks indecisive behavior and lack of consistent communication.

It’s simply cause and effect.
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptySat May 07, 2022 5:04 pm

That's what finally prompted me to move on. Nick can't seem to do that himself.

Call Me Roy Again likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptySat May 07, 2022 11:37 pm

I haven’t let go of TC completely. I’ve only been delving in the Trek threads since there’s folks there I still chat over Trek. Otherwise, I just don’t feel like posting there as much.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptySun May 08, 2022 9:24 pm

He's just going to keep flipflopping until he finally shuts it down out of anger and/or spite. It might last another month. It might last three or six months. It might last another year or two. But the cycle will repeat again and again until he finally does it. I don't blame or begrudge anyone who still wants to engage over there, but I think I'm done. The way he turned on a dime and instantly got angry when people asked for changes if he keeps it open infuriated me. It's clear he wants all praise and zero criticism. Which is his prerogative. It's his site after all. But I don't fancy being a deckhand on the Dread Pirate Nunz's ship as he still constantly threatens to "kill the boards in the morning" for however long TC continues to exist. A home isn't a home with a constant threat of eviction tightening around your neck. That's slumlord behavior.

As for people talking shit about CHUD/TC posters on Discord, FB, Twitter, other boards, Devin's subconsciousness, etc.? That'll always happen, because people are assholes. All you can do is ignore it, while also reminding yourself that everything you post online is seen and read by others. Nothing on the internet is truly private, which is why most of the time I just stick to posting dumb shit about movies, shows, books, and music. All of which I will happily continue to do on here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptySun May 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Happy to have you aboard (?) ST!
Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyMon May 09, 2022 2:02 am

I don’t think Nick will ever close the boards.
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyMon May 09, 2022 3:39 am

I don't really care at this point TBH. I'm happy to be in a new place with old friends.

Doc Happenin and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyMon May 09, 2022 7:35 am

Stockslivevan wrote:
I don’t think Nick will ever close the boards.

Yeah, I'm leaning this way myself. And while I'm not going to say I'm never posting there again, I have already severely reduced my presence on the boards and don't think I'll be ramping back up to regular levels again.
Back to top Go down
Chaz Rock City

Chaz Rock City

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyTue May 10, 2022 9:01 pm

I have nothing more profound to say at the moment than I'm sticking with CD.

Dock Fight, Maxwell Patterson, Mondguy and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyWed May 11, 2022 12:19 pm

Glad you're here, Chaz.  Love talking rock with you.
Great avatar, by the way!  I have a ritual of listening to nothing but Van Halen for the month of May.

Last edited by Judas Booth on Fri May 13, 2022 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chaz Rock City likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chaz Rock City

Chaz Rock City

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 11:09 pm

Roth era Van Halen sounds even better during the summer!

Judas Booth likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 8:06 am

For me, Roth-era VH pretty much IS the sound of summer. Especially Diver Down.

(Journey's Escape is another 80s album which just feels like summer to me.)

Judas Booth and Chaz Rock City like this post

Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 10:27 am

DIVER DOWN is underrated.  'Little Guitars' may be my favorite VH song period and 'The Full Bug' deserves more respect.  

But yeah, I've got a playlist of the 6 DLR era albums (probably about 2/3 of the songs, to be honest) on random in my car.  Just great. There's something to be said for having the windows down in your car, a pair of sunglasses on, and Van Halen cranked to 11 to entertain/annoy the drivers next to you.

Chaz Rock City likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CountingDown :: Welcome to CountingDown :: Introductions-
Jump to: