CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!

Go down 
+67
Stockslivevan
ArcadeJimmy
Chief Zabu
Bucho
Mondguy
DailyRich
Dock Fight
boone daniels
commodorejohn
Call Me Roy Again
Belloq87
Judas Booth
Maxwell Patterson
Roke
Mr Saxon
ska oreo
adynate
Jones
Pither
Onemanmust
First Class 782
Glisten
Totalpackage
Misfit
Subotai
Chaz Rock City
Evi
Doc Happenin
schweiner
Bartleby_Scriven
Kyle Reese 3
jhp168
Iron Maiden
bailey
MikeK
Owen
VTRan
GojiraCrunch
anjinash
Hammerhead
McIrish
bigbrother
turingmachine75
Molt Prime
wd40
Slim
atomtastic
Dani Reasor
HP Pufncraft
themanatarms
justinslot
Schwartz
Sean Blackwell
Mangy
Chewie Of Borg
simohawk
SithHunter
Bane
Crimson-X
Lord Sesuken
Nikon949
Kit-Kat
bmw_666
The Star Treker
Darth Symbiote
Demotos
sithlindy
71 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Roke

Roke

Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 3:56 am

CHUD/TC has a massive legacy, to the point that the sheer tonnage can discourage and intimidate long-time lurkers like me. Not because the atmosphere there is unfriendly, but because I feel that the place "belongs" to the long-time voices with their instantly recognizable banter patterns, so that it's bad manners to pipe in. Add to that the seemingly permanent melancholy of a place that is forever winding down like some last elven refuge, and it's not hard to see why it hasn't attracted a lot of newcomers.

This could become a more lively place that can keep going until the polar caps melt. All it takes is for a critical mass of vital voices to make the switch.

Doc Happenin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 2:59 pm

Wait, am I missing something?

Did Nick backpedal to try to bring Trouble-City back?

Tried the boards just now and said it no longer exists.

Glad this place is here, just wondering if Nick had a change of heart…
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 3:20 pm

Call Me Roy Again wrote:
Wait, am I missing something?

Did Nick backpedal to try to bring Trouble-City back?

Tried the boards just now and said it no longer exists.

Glad this place is here, just wondering if Nick had a change of heart…

It's still working for me. But yeah, he's considering keeping them going. Although I'm sure he'll decide again sometime in the next year that he wants to close them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
ska oreo

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 4:45 pm

Huh, I have a feeing we're not in Kansas anymore.

Call Me Roy Again, Mondguy and Headless Fett like this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 4:58 pm

Aaaww yeah, ska oreo made the trip. Glad you're here!
Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 7:24 pm

ska oreo wrote:
Huh, I have a feeing we're not in Kansas anymore.

Ska, no lie. I watched Halloween 78’ the other night with 2 first timers ( both late 50s and they loved it) and legitimately thought about you and how you have never seen it.

I eagerly await that review…
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 10:51 pm

I've made my last post on TC and logged out. It was finally time to let go.

Looking forward to seeing more familiar faces pop up on here.

Judas Booth, DailyRich, Call Me Roy Again and ArcadeJimmy like this post

Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 10:59 pm

I had realized I had typed in Trouble City manually and just spelled the URL wrong.

It’s a weird scene over there.

Why is Nick asking “so do’ya guys reeeeally want me to keep the boards up?”

Like, yeah man… if you actually are… but if you’re gonna get a bee in your bonnet in 16 months and be like “ya know… not feeling these boards AGAIN…unless, you guys want them to stay up…..?” then just pull the plug already.

This teasing a 3 legged dog with a treat is a weird look and seems like he is trying to work some emotional stuff out and using the site as a means of expression.

DailyRich, Headless Fett and Roke like this post

Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyThu May 05, 2022 11:02 pm

I'm pretty much done with TC now. I'll check it out to a limited degree but I'm pretty much committed to this place and Discord now.

DailyRich, Call Me Roy Again and Headless Fett like this post

Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:52 am

This post kinda pissed me off, especially the bit about not wanting to fragment the community.

Quote :
Let me ask a few questions of the gang:

1. There’s Dischord and a new MB. Are those suitable replacements? Because, if we give this an injection of love and attention it needs to be something that would keep the majority here and active. I don’t want there to be division and fragmentation. If this is home base it makes sense.

2. The Patreon has been helpful in keeping the lights on. I can’t justify the expense without it but that’s a good asset if folks want to continue. Cool?

3. I’m going to relaunch the main site and there’s the Microscope. You think you might participate in that or just the boards?

4. I have no problem deleting accounts. I would assign a small group of moderators but I’d prefer they be folks I can talk to and get to know as people and not random names on an MB. Cool?

5. I’d ask a “clean slate” vibe. No more assumptions on folks but rather lucid communication and no pack mentality stuff. Most of us who have been around are now on the cusp of being old fucks. Let’s be civil and not resort to the old petty stuff?
Back to top Go down
https://countingdown.forumotion.com
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 4:41 am

From his waffling on closing/not closing to this lame response? Yeah, total bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Mr Saxon

Mr Saxon

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 4:57 am

I just wish he'd gotten to know us all better. He popped onto Discord a few nights back and actually conversed with people. People who've been posting on his boards for years but who he's never previously interacted with. And most peoples' reactions were "Well, that's was really cool!"

Imagine if he'd gotten involved in Knockouts and Drafts with us, or gotten to know our in-jokes, or just spoken to us. A lot of us are thankful for the community he's given us and would have loved to know him better. I think he'd have a better understanding of what those boards mean/meant to some people and why they were worth saving. And we might have avoided the recent frustrations on both sides which have emerged.

Call Me Roy Again, Headless Fett, Doc Happenin, Chaz Rock City and Glisten like this post

Back to top Go down
Roke

Roke

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 5:56 am

As an outsider looking in, I've often wondered what Nick's relationship to the forums really is. I'm not sure about the dates, but I think it's been a full decade since he first announced CHUD was winding down.

Are they a last vestige of youthful dreams that he can't let go of and loves and loathes in equal measure? Or weirdly wonderful side effects of dead-end ventures that he doesn't have the heart to kill, even though they are populated by ingrates who never visit the site proper?

Maxwell Patterson and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
Maxwell Patterson

Maxwell Patterson

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 7:30 am

Hell, I wrote stuff for the main site under the MCP section and I don't think I ever spoke to the man personally. Not blaming him, just seemed like the whole CHUD endeavor was weirdly compartmentalized.

Roke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 7:56 am

Just wanted to say to stocks and other folks: sorry about not being super active on these boards this week. Work's been rough and it's felt like every evening has had multiple RL obligations.

I'm really appreciative of stocks doing this, and glad for the folks who are here. I'm around but it may be a bit before I post as often as I did at TC.

Stockslivevan, HP Pufncraft, Maxwell Patterson, Call Me Roy Again and Headless Fett like this post

Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 8:32 am

Headless Fett wrote:
From his waffling on closing/not closing to this lame response? Yeah, total bullshit.

Agreed. He’d be quiet for months while he just watched from a distance, make up his own mind, say he was going to close, wait forever to close, get CLOSE to taking away the boards, then say, ehhh maybe not, but here are conditions and things I’ve had problems with and NEVER discussed and I only want you guys here and nowhere else KAYYY?

Seems to be some passive aggressive, avoidant behavior.

I don’t buy into that stuff, sorry Nick.

Keep the boards up or not, take the leap and make a permanent decision. And don’t be pissed if actual posters take the initiative to start something else.
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 8:48 am

It's the girlfriend who dumps you then wants you back when they see you with your new girlfriend.

Mr Saxon, Call Me Roy Again and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 9:52 am

A cute girl with a decent body that didn’t do anything but lay there when you had sex.

Then got mad when you wouldn’t spice things up so dumped you.

Then wanted to get back together when you found someone not only cute, but receptive.

… but would only get back together if you made a few adjustments as to how you handled yourself in the bedroom.

Doc Happenin likes this post

Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 10:22 am

Nick: "I'm closing this place for good. It's all going away, and no, I'm not interested in reconsidering or handing the reins over to someone else."

Also Nick: "HEY WHERE'S EVERYBODY GOING!?!?"

DailyRich, Call Me Roy Again and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 10:24 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Nick: "I'm closing this place for good. It's all going away, and no, I'm not interested in reconsidering or handing the reins over to someone else."

Also Nick: "HEY WHERE'S EVERYBODY GOING!?!?"

*Ned Ryerson “BING!” GIF*
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 11:31 am

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice....well, fuck you then.

I will not be strung along on the emotional vicissitudes of Nick, especially when he changes his mind at the drop of a hat.

Call Me Roy Again and ArcadeJimmy like this post

Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 11:53 am

It'll be all kumbaya for a while, then the "new main site" won't be getting the traffic he wants and it'll somehow be the boards' fault for the members not acting as free viral marketing, or for not breathlessly discussing every single article, and he'll muse about whether it's all worth it until he gets his requisite "Thank you Nick!" posts, and this whole cycle will repeat again.

Judas Booth, Doc Happenin and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 1:11 pm

All I know is I don't particularly like the way this has transpired from Nick's end, and now I feel like I don't know where to be posting things.
Back to top Go down
Call Me Roy Again

Call Me Roy Again

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Belloq87 wrote:
All I know is I don't particularly like the way this has transpired from Nick's end, and now I feel like I don't know where to be posting things.

Neither do I, that’s why I think staying over there will just encourage his inconsistent behavior.

The dude is weird.

I like the boards, but he has next to nothing to do with them, other than just making them available .

It’s just as easy to do the same thing over here without the “well, you guys just don’t appreciate ANYTHING” attitude.

If he wants to take his toys and go home then he should just commit and put his damn shoes on.

DailyRich likes this post

Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 EmptyFri May 06, 2022 1:45 pm

I came into this much too late to properly understand the dynamics, but I get the impression that he's always thought of the boards as an accessory to the main site, and never been comfortable with the way they became a whole separate entity. It reminds me a lot of the way the staff at the Agony Booth felt about the forums there (funnily enough, the shuttering thereof was what drove me to CHUD, courtesy of LaurenOrtega,) though Nick has never been as semi-openly hostile towards the boards as Albert was. Just a weird, weird dynamic all-around.

Call Me Roy Again likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!   Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello! - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oldies and Newbies Unite and say hello!
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CountingDown :: Welcome to CountingDown :: Introductions-
Jump to: