CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society

Go down 
+8
ArcadeJimmy
Roke
Belloq87
First Class 782
Judas Booth
Stockslivevan
DailyRich
Doc Happenin
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society Empty
PostSubject: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyThu May 05, 2022 3:51 pm

A new Sam Raimi movie is out this weekend? Groovy.

Figured it was time to make a thread to dismember our thoughts into.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society Empty
PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyThu May 05, 2022 4:30 pm

Two and change with credits? Sign me up! Raimi can pack more into a minute of film than most directors can during nine ty, not expecting a game-changer but certainly a well paced time at the theater.
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyThu May 05, 2022 9:45 pm

Oh yeah, this breezed right by without feeling rushed. Definitely a Raimi film while still being a Marvel film.

Doc Happenin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyThu May 05, 2022 9:54 pm

There a Bruce cameo?
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyThu May 05, 2022 10:50 pm

Oh yes indeed.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 7:31 am

How does Wanda's story fit in? Is it a good fit for the ending of Wandavision? Given that this was supposed to be released beforehand, am curious if it feels disjointed.

Mostly, I want more talking here on CD!
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 8:55 am

Doc Happenin wrote:
Given that this was supposed to be released beforehand, am curious if it feels disjointed.

Pretty sure it got totally re-written since then. The film really does feel like a sequel to both the first Strange and WandaVision. Really, if you've only seen those two properties, you will absolutely not be lost here. And I feel like it addresses some of the complaints about how WandaVision ended.

Doc Happenin and Chaz Rock City like this post

Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (2022)   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 3:10 pm

I'm seeing this tonight.
Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 5:14 pm

Just got back from a matinee. This flick was bonkers fun. I kinda wish I revisited the first film to refresh on a few bits. At one point Michael Stuhlbarg shows up and I was stressing to remember if he played a different character in the MCU, then see in the credits that he was in the first. And then he disappears. I feel like that’s too much of a common recurrence in MCU; grabbing notable character actors and not doing much with them. Alfre Woodward was at least given a more memorable bit in CIVIL WAR.
Back to top Go down
https://countingdown.forumotion.com
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 5:18 pm

I'm seeing this on Saturday night. Pumped as hell.
Back to top Go down
First Class 782

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 10:46 pm

My first Counting Down review. I’ll be brief. Was mostly bored by the first two-thirds, including the big Illuminati (Marvel) nonsense…but then it hit Raimi-gear and I ended up liking it a lot. Man, I missed Raimi and his filmmaking style and sensibility. Great fit, and it got quite nasty. I’ll wait for more spoilery thoughts until next week, when more folks have seen it.
Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyFri May 06, 2022 11:02 pm

What a delight!

It’s a wonderful surprise to see how much of Sam Raimi’s visual and tonal signature can be felt running underneath all this, and as a longtime fan of his work, that’s so refreshing. Marvel really did let him take the horror stuff much further than anybody should have expected, and it’s a fantastic thing to see him playing with that kind of iconography again. Ditto for how he visualizes sorcery and magic.

On a storytelling level, the movie is trying to do several significant things:

1. Be a sequel to DOCTOR STRANGE, servicing him and his supporting characters.
2. Be a sequel to WANDAVISION, servicing Wanda’s continued character metamorphosis.
3. Be an expansion of the MCU template to include more overt horror elements.
4. Indulge wacky, fan-service-y, Easter-Egg-y Multiverse hijinks.

Potentially four hard things to balance and weave together in the right way. Remarkably, somehow, restraint was shown and they got the brew just right. This is not an overstuffed movie. The Multiverse shenanigans do not take over the film; instead, we are actually treated to an agreeably self-contained (and fairly small-scale) story that doesn’t strain to tie-into larger MCU story arcs, and instead does feel fully centered around Strange and Wanda, with a splash (more than a splash, really) of some trademark Raimi ghoulishness.

There are nitpicks, of course (characterizations of various players don’t fully line up with where we last saw them, and a couple spoilery bits didn’t land for me), but there’s so much more that is terrifically enjoyable: almost every individual sequence here has at least something visually interesting going on, the performances are all very good (Benedict Cumberbatch’s Strange should be the foundation on which the next ten years of the MCU are built, if producer Kevin Feige knows what he’s doing), it’s got a rollicking pace with a two-hour runtime, and there are enough wild and crazy shenanigans (including a full embrace of the weirdness of the Doctor Strange comics) to keep the picture constantly engaging.

Please let Raimi do more of this.

Doc Happenin and Chaz Rock City like this post

Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySat May 07, 2022 12:03 am

You know, I kinda want them to let Raimi do a Man-Thing movie now.
Back to top Go down
Roke

Roke

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySat May 07, 2022 4:18 am

I dunno, maybe it's because the MCU is finally starting to collapse under its weight for me or maybe it's because I've never been able to get into Raimi, but this felt a bit airless and joyless. There was no general sense of a grand adventure spreading out in front of my eyes, there was just a bunch of characters running in a narrow tube of plot and getting to their destination not a moment too soon.
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySat May 07, 2022 9:14 pm

I enjoyed the hell out of this. Loved how gruesome it got, especially with Zombie Strange at the end. Good fun.

Belloq87 likes this post

Back to top Go down
ArcadeJimmy

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySat May 07, 2022 11:24 pm

I thought it was pretty good, but what surprised me the most was just how Raimi/Evil Dead it went. I expected it to have a few Easter Eggs, but it went way further down the rabbit hole than that. It felt like the most Raimi movie since Army Of Darkness to me, and that includes Drag Me To Hell, which I thought was pretty damn Raimi-ish obviously as well.
Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySat May 07, 2022 11:35 pm

ArcadeJimmy wrote:
I thought it was pretty good, but what surprised me the most was just how Raimi/Evil Dead it went.  I expected it to have a few Easter Eggs, but it went way further down the rabbit hole than that.  It felt like the most Raimi movie since Army Of Darkness to me, and that includes Drag Me To Hell, which I thought was pretty damn Raimi-ish obviously as well.

Raimi and Feige have worked together on the Spider-Man films, so I think Feige just allowed him to go wild with his own style of filmmaking and I’m so glad. It’s such a fun ride of a movie.

ArcadeJimmy and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
https://countingdown.forumotion.com
ArcadeJimmy

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySun May 08, 2022 11:23 am

I never knew Feige was involved that far back. Makes sense though, and thanks: that’s a good piece of info to know.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySun May 08, 2022 9:03 pm

Feige has been producing movies for Marvel since the first X-Men film. It's just that he never had a sizable amount of control on any of them until Iron Man.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptySun May 08, 2022 9:05 pm

I had an absolutely blast with this film, by the way. Just a great rollercoaster ride of fantasy horror from start to finish.

Sam Raimi Superhero Flicks Ranked:
1. Darkman
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
4. Spider-Man
5. Spider-Man 3

Belloq87 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyMon May 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Still in the theater and holy shit, this was just a joy. Love seeing an MCU film with some teeth and a flair of its own. Raimi bgone done brought it.

Belloq87 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyTue May 10, 2022 8:59 pm

Also, props to the writers for making Captain Marvel interesting! Not being the strongest hero in the room is actually great.

Feel kinda bad for Lynch, she's now "the other one" in two series!
Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyTue May 10, 2022 9:22 pm

I don't know that she was in the movie enough to call her "interesting," but the fight was fun!
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyTue May 10, 2022 9:54 pm

I guess it's interesting because she didn't just Konami code her way to victory.

Belloq87 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chaz Rock City

Chaz Rock City

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society EmptyTue May 10, 2022 10:15 pm

I know Rami was recently quoted as saying he had full creative control, but certain beats had to be hit; I'm paraphrasing of course. He wasn't talking out of both sides of his mouth. Visually this is a Rami movie. There were visuals that reminded me of Evil Dead 2. The third act gets bat shit crazy! The beats that had to be hit were that the characters stayed consistent to how they behaved in previous movies. The Snap, defeating Thanos and the events of Wandavision are addressed as well.

Belloq87 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society   DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society Empty

Back to top Go down

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS, sponsored by the Kandarian Demon Film Society
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next