CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr

Go down 
+5
Headless Fett
Judas Booth
Doc Happenin
Belloq87
Dock Fight
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr Empty
PostSubject: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 10:36 am

We're getting a new Predator film and it appears that it'll be exclusively on Hulu.

Teaser just dropped:

It's a really effective teaser, to be sure. But considering the series' track record, I'm not optimistic.
Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 11:20 am

Could be good.

I appreciate that they're finally following-up on the implied "Predators have been visiting Earth for a long time" thing from PREDATOR 2.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 12:23 pm

Wait, is this an adaptation of the video game Prey, which was about...aliens hunting native Americans?
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 12:37 pm

I'm in.
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 4:12 pm

I'll check it out when it drops since it's a different take on the Predator formula. Sadly I don't think we'll ever see a movie that rivals the first two films.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 4:16 pm

I want it to succeed so we can get an entire series of Predator vs [INSERT ANCIENT CULTURE] here. Like, 'oh dang, what if Grendel was a Predator?'

The Schlocketeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 4:18 pm

That would be the perfect concept for an anthology show.

Doc Happenin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm

Fett, you glorious bastard. I hear they're just hiring people off the street to show-run! It can happen!
Back to top Go down
HP Pufncraft

HP Pufncraft

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 8:58 pm

I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane so I'm cautiously optimistic. Besides, it'll give me a reason to actually use my Hulu account.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyMon May 16, 2022 9:39 pm

This stripping things down and going back to the basics with the franchise is what it needs, as opposed to the various attempts at extended lore building that we've been handed by Predators, The Predator, and the AVP films. Those movies have their moments (some WAY more than others), but at the end of the day they miss a key ingredient that the first two had in spades: subgenre deconstruction.

The original film is a "men-on-a-mission" movie. Pull the titular beast out and you still have a men-on-a-mission movie with its own set of obstacles for the characters. Ditto for the second film, which is an archetypal "cop on the edge" flick in a city besieged by drug wars. Pull the Predator out and you still have cartel hordes to contend with (especially since he's not there killing them).

Whereas with the four films that followed, if you yank the Predators out of them, their stories cannot function.

This one looks to be a coming-of-age period piece set within a warrior culture. That alone should give it some depth and adding a Predator into the mix is icing on the cake. Doubly so, considering that it involves Native Americans and the Predator(s) could be a stand-in for the murderous settlers that will soon encroach upon their lands. Trachtenberg is a smart filmmaker, so I guarantee that none of this is lost on him.

I don't know if it'll be better than 1&2, but I have a strong feeling that it will at least surpass the rest. And that's good enough for me.

Sidenote: I've seen some people lamenting that this is a direct-to-streaming release. On the one hand, I totally get that. I would love to see this on the big screen too, but the simple fact is that the last three films featuring these suckers have either underperformed or outright bombed. It's honestly a miracle that we're even getting a new one at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
First Class 782

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:36 am

Doc Happenin wrote:
I want it to succeed so we can get an entire series of Predator vs [INSERT ANCIENT CULTURE] here. Like, 'oh dang, what if Grendel was a Predator?'
doc, you've probably seen it. But Outlander (low budget mid-2000s film, not the TV show) sort of explored that. It was also a pretty great genre film.

The Schlocketeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue May 17, 2022 12:37 pm

Outlander is fun! Not great, but a solid choice for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon matinee kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue May 17, 2022 4:23 pm

Honestly can't believe the director of Outlander hasn't made another full length film after all this time. It's a great little movie!
Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue May 17, 2022 5:37 pm

On Hulu, eh? How the mighty have fallen.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue May 17, 2022 10:08 pm

There are new Hellraiser and Alien movies earmarked for Hulu as well over the next year or so.

Way of the future!
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 11:09 am

Full trailer has dropped:

I'm intrigued but not overly hopeful; the franchise has about 1.5 (2 if I'm feeling generous) good entries, and nothing worth talking about since 1990 or so.

I really wish they'd had the Native Americans speaking in their own language, but I get why they didn't.

ETA: Apparently, they're making a version with Comanche dub available. Good, I guess? I just really hate dubs.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/prey-to-premiere-with-comanche-language-dub-marking-first-movie-ever/

Roke likes this post

Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 7:21 pm

Supposedly the cast will be dubbing themselves, so there's that at least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr   PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr Empty

Back to top Go down

PREY (Hulu), sponsored by the ghost of Morton Downey, Jr
Page 1 of 1