CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DailyRich

DailyRich

Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis" Empty
PostSubject: Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"   Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis" EmptyWed May 11, 2022 3:11 pm

Quote :
But the hunger for content brought on by the explosion of streaming has stretched the old, ad hoc training system to its breaking point. There simply are not enough experienced showrunners to head all the shows being made. Moreover, shorter episode orders and script writing for a whole season finishing before production has begun has robbed new writers of concrete experience they would have gotten even a few years ago. When those writers go on to pitch their shows, there’s a chance they’ve never seen one of their scripts actually get filmed. And, again, there aren’t enough experienced showrunners to pair with them.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epxeze/television-is-in-a-showrunning-crisis

I imagine this is becoming an issue for a lot of other production roles in television, where the sheer mass of content is simply too big for the available pool of talent in various positions.

Jones and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"   Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis" EmptyWed May 11, 2022 5:19 pm

So what you're saying is...

There's a chance my gritty reboot of Octonauts can happen!?! Yes!
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"   Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis" EmptyWed May 18, 2022 8:25 am

I don't have any substance comment at this time, but wanted to say that was a GREAT article, Richard. Thanks for sharing it.

Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"   Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis" EmptyWed May 18, 2022 9:48 pm

I have a friend who works in film/TV production down in Louisiana and this completely lines up with what he's been telling me for awhile: there are too many projects and not enough workers for them. As a result, people who have next to no experience on even a production assistant level are getting rapidly promoted from project to project to meet hiring demands. Which in turn leads to a lot of previously-avoidable production messes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"   Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis" Empty

Back to top Go down

Vice: "Televison Is In a Showrunning Crisis"
Page 1 of 1