CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Westworld (HBO)

Go down 
+5
Schwartz
Headless Fett
Judas Booth
Doc Happenin
Dock Fight
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 6:33 pm

Because we all wanted a season 4, right?  Right?

Well, you're getting one anyways.

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 6:47 pm

Just came here to post that!

And no, we didn't. S3 shit the bed, hard and stinky.

Yet: NGL, I'm still gonna watch. At least an episode or two. See if they've bounced back from the lows of the last season.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 6:48 pm

Fuck yeah! I enjoyed season 3, though will cop to its flaws. Huh. Didn't think they'd renew it; figured the showrunners moved on. The third season finale could work fine as a series finale.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 7:25 pm

I can't be arsed to dig up the article, but I think Nolan and Joy might not be as hands-on for this season, as they got a deal to develop a FALLOUT series for HBO.

If so, that's probably a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 7:48 pm

it's an amusement park with killer robots. How do you fuck this up?
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 10:25 pm

Judas Booth wrote:
it's an amusement park with killer robots.  How do you fuck this up?

Westworld (HBO) Giphy

Just replace "Life" with "Shitty writing" and you have your answer.

Still can't believe how this show jumped several sharks in that last episode. Almost as bad as the GoT series finale.
Back to top Go down
Schwartz
Schwartz

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyMon May 09, 2022 11:58 pm

Judas Booth wrote:
it's an amusement park with killer robots.  How do you fuck this up?

1) Get rid of the amusement park

2) ask us to accept the killer robots as the good guys

3) Tease us wih a little bit of Ingrid Bolso Bernal and then completely ditch her
Back to top Go down
http://www.frameworkcast.com
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 7:09 am

Schwartz wrote:
3)  Tease us wih a little bit of Ingrid Bolso Bernal and then completely ditch her

This might be the show's greatest sin.
Back to top Go down
Roke

Roke

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 8:37 am

Having watched the first season and bailed out at the start of the second, I've wondered if there's any there there to the show at all, apart from "Yul Brynner sure looked cool and scary as a killer robot, didn't he?"
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 9:08 am

I still think the first season is borderline great, and has actual things on its mind. S2 is too in love with its own narrative fuckery; the fractured timeline short circuits (hee) any impact or ideas it's trying to convey.

S3, if my comments over in TC are any indication, was going strong for most of its run and then absolutely shit the bed in the final two episodes, particularly the last.

It's up to better minds than mine to determine whether S2 and S3 added anything of substance to the conversation begun in S1. (My own take is "No, they didn't" but like I said: better minds are needed.)
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 9:58 am

I absolutely could not get into Season 3. It just became such a completely different show that I just wasn't interested in.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 10:11 am

You're not wrong. Leaving the park essentially made it a different show.
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 12:07 pm

It's like if JURASSIC PARK suddenly left the island and spent an hour on InGen fending off a corporate takeover. It might be a compelling story and make perfect logical sense, but where the hell are my dinosaurs??
Back to top Go down
Schwartz
Schwartz

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 3:16 pm

I definitely watched all of S3 but I couldn't tell you a thing that happened. This show is a prime example of a storyteller convincing themselves that complexity of plot is equivalent to depth of themes. And so it thinks that the intellectual challenge that comes from exploring heady ideas and weighty themes is the same as the challenge that comes from making the basics of your plot obtuse and fucking impenetrable.

Judas Booth likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.frameworkcast.com
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 3:34 pm

Schwartz is also not wrong.
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue May 10, 2022 5:22 pm

Indeed, Schwartz absolutely nailed it 100%.
Back to top Go down
First Class 782

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyWed May 11, 2022 2:18 pm

S3 was both interminable and vaporware. My spouse and I struggled to remember plot details, and then decided it didn't matter, because we'd already planned to let it go. Bummer, as there are moments and plotlines in S1 and S2 that are, relatively speaking, amazing and meaningful. Some of the greatest performances in TV history happened on this show.

But not by Aaron Paul. Or Tessa Thompson.
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyWed May 11, 2022 5:37 pm

If nothing else, WW has made an actor out of Thandiwe Newton. Bravo to her.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyThu May 12, 2022 1:41 pm

Judas Booth wrote:
If nothing else, WW has made an actor out of Thandiwe Newton.  Bravo to her.

Yes! She's fantastic and I hope she's able to continue to use the raised profile she's had from Westworld to get good work - sadly something that would be tough at her age, regardless, and her being Black doesn't help in that regard.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 10:29 pm

Wife and I are rewatching 2 & 3 to get ready for the fourth. Just finished 2 and gotta say, it still hits. It does get 'EVERYONE IS A CYLON' at the end but I think I enjoyed it more the second time through. Easier to follow and process what's happening.

Kiksuya is still one of the best episodes of the show.

Anotber thing: of course Dolores has a dim view of humanity...the only people who can come to the park are rich assholes! Assholes so rich that they very likely have some sort of defect because well, they're so fucking rich, and you don't get that way by following high ideals.

Anyways, onto season 3!
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue Jun 14, 2022 10:55 pm

S2 is fine. It's fine. Nolan & Joy get a bit too fond of tangled narratives for its own sake.

S3 is ok up until the final 2 or 3 episodes and then shits the bed HARD.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptySun Jun 19, 2022 11:04 pm

Hmmm...

Just wrapped up episode 5 of season 3. It felt like a season finale. Dolores released the Rehoboam information, the world is in chaos because of it; Dempsey is dead; Serac has lost control. William is in an asylum. Stubs and Bernard are reunited. The last shot is Dolores and Caleb getting onto a plane and setting out for more free will. There's enough with the Outlier idea to tease you for the next.

And I will admit, I remembered most of that. It gets vague after this; was taken by surprise when they let Rehoboam out.
Back to top Go down
Chief Zabu

Chief Zabu

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyTue Jun 21, 2022 1:23 pm

So even though the landing is shaky, does Season 3 at least make sense in a narrative fashion? I checked out after Season 2 but thought I'd dive into the first couple episodes of Season 3 just a couple of weeks ago. What I saw so far was good enough to keep going, but based on what I'm reading the last few eps appear to be prime examples of the showrunners crawling up their own asses. Should I continue or focus my attention on something else? Just wondering....
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 am

If you're asking if you can follow it, the answer is yes.

If you're asking if the characters make relatable, believable decisions and is the season arc satisfying?

The answer is a hard no.
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) EmptyWed Jun 22, 2022 10:23 am

it's the very definition of 'shitting the bed.'

Dock Fight and Headless Fett like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Westworld (HBO) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld (HBO)   Westworld (HBO) Empty

Back to top Go down

Westworld (HBO)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CountingDown :: Media :: Television-
Jump to: