CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK

Go down 
+11
Roke
Belloq87
Jones
Bucho
Dock Fight
DailyRich
boone daniels
The Schlocketeer
Judas Booth
Molt Prime
Stockslivevan
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
DailyRich

DailyRich

I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Oh I agree. At least here the dangerous mission is baked into the story instead of feeling like an add-on to give the film a climax.

The Schlocketeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 8:54 pm

I honestly kinda wanna go see it again. And I just might too, if my local theaters skimp on new releases next weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 9:24 pm

The Schlocketeer wrote:
I honestly kinda wanna go see it again. And I just might too, if my local theaters skimp on new releases next weekend.

Same. I'll be all over the 4K release, but I want to see this at least one more time theatrically.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 10:06 pm

Having rewatched the first one before this, I was struck by how...thrown together it feels. All the scenes have a 'and then this', whereas the new film is striking more towards 'and therefore this'. Especially with regards to the ending mission of the original vs new one, the plot is far and away better constructed. Props to the original for crafting individual images and moments that have undoubtedly stood the test of time, of course; and obviously, the sequel owes a lot to those. Still, this is a a much better film all around; character, emotion, plot, everything (except maybe the music because DAMN)

Oh, I'm definitely watching this again. Man, the Paramount gods are so thankful; this has clear skies til Jurassic Park in two weeks and even then, is that really going to be a major threat?
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 10:13 pm

I think this will hold up fine against JURASSIC WORLD: WE LITERALLY THROW EVERYTHING AT THE WALL
Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 10:36 pm

DOMINION is going to be big, but MAVERICK will have made all the money it needs to by then to be considered a success, especially worldwide.

The Schlocketeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 11:27 pm

I was a little confused over the opening scene in the film, which seemed to show Maverick the test pilot as being a tad reckless, even for a test pilot. The parameters of the test are changed so he has to get to mach 10, okay. Everything's riding on this, including all the engineers' jobs, because Admiral Ed Harris wants to can the whole thing, fine. Tom coaxes the thing up to mach 10, praying to Goose as it rattles and vibrates and generally overheats, yay. And then... I dunno, he gets this odd look in his eye, and decides to see how much faster it will go. The plane disintegrates and he gets yelled at, but weirdly: a) no one seems to note that he drove the plane over the test limits when he didn't have to, and b) this pointlessly reckless decision does not seem to reflect in anything else, in fact Maverick seems to be quite at ease with himself when he's not flying a plane.

I get that the connection seems to be with his decision to go back and help Rooster during the mission, but the two situations couldn't be more different. If they were trying to show that Maverick is still dangerous, but at least his craziness now is in helping others, it didn't seem to come across all that clearly.
Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptySun May 29, 2022 11:37 pm

It seemed to me that it illustrated that he'll still take things to the limit, and basically can't help himself but do that.
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 11:05 am

I don't mean this as a slight against the character, but Maverick in this movie is a more thoughtful high school jock who peaked early and keeps chasing that high. His skill set never went away, but here he is, answering to people who graduated Top Gun two years after he did.
Back to top Go down
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 1:11 pm

I think the movie and the character are both basically cognizant of that.
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 1:54 pm

Which is my argument for the opening scene with the test flight. He keeps leaning into those impulses while everyone else has moved on.  I knew the movie was putting in the work when Maverick glanced at the mach meter and I silently groaned "Oh no.  Don't do it" because I knew precisely what he was going to do even though he knew he shouldn't.

Doc Happenin likes this post

Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 3:25 pm

Of course, it turns out that those impulses are kinda essential to the succes of the final mission.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 4:38 pm

Well, there's been a lot of 'you're the best, Tom!' in his recent movies.

But, what's particularly galling is that the peaked in high school guy still gets Jennifer Connelly! harumph
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 10:32 am

I'm sure there's some digital wizardry at work there (plus perhaps some well done strategic cosmetic work) but goddamn, Connelly is fuckin' luminous.
Back to top Go down
Bartleby_Scriven

Bartleby_Scriven

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 11:56 am

Would hug.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 9:26 pm

Connelly needs no trickery! She's showstopping enough all on her own.

Doc Happenin likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Bucho

Bucho

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2022 2:09 am

Mondguy wrote:
Basing the training specifically for the mission was a great writing choice.  By the time you're in the finale, you already know the goals and challenges, so there's no sudden info dump and you can just soak everything in.

Yeah, it's a heist movie, and yeah, it works a treat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK   I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

I feel the need, the need for TOP GUN MAVERICK
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CountingDown :: Media :: CountingDown-
Jump to: