CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Dead Celebrity Thread

Go down 
+7
Chief Zabu
Owen
Headless Fett
Judas Booth
Dock Fight
First Class 782
DailyRich
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DailyRich

DailyRich

The Dead Celebrity Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptySat May 07, 2022 2:08 pm

Kicking off with a not unexpected but still sad passing, George Perez has succumbed to his cancer at age 67.

https://comicbook.com/irl/news/george-perez-acclaimed-comic-book-artist-dead-at-67/

Perez was, along with John Byrne and Walt Simonson, one of the first artists I was a fan of when I first began to take notice of who was actually doing what in comics.  I had some of his Avengers comics and I was always struck by the detail that somehow didn't make his work seem stiff or posed.  I was a Marvel fanboy so I was always X-Men > Teen Titans, but then I saw his work on Crisis and was just blown away. And I think he may have topped it with JLA/Avengers later on.

May his memorial be as densely packed as his covers.

The Dead Celebrity Thread 280204712_10166208592190297_1230615086599672687_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=cCPRFHdGEjYAX_B5ZVY&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1

First Class 782 likes this post

Back to top Go down
First Class 782

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptySat May 07, 2022 3:02 pm

He and Neal are among the ten finest comic book artists ever. RIP.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 13, 2022 10:51 am

Fred Ward has passed.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/13/1098760992/actor-fred-ward-dies

A known name actor for folks in these parts, I'm sure, but I rather suspect he was forever a "that guy" for most moviegoers. Always dependable, an underrated comedic actor, and stalwart tough guy, Ward never failed to delight, regardless of the quality of the movie he was in.
Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Fred never got that breakout role to turn him into a superstar, and that's a damned crime.

Great, fun actor. Presence and charisma up the ass. Seemed a cool dude.
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 13, 2022 6:32 pm

Aw damn. He was such a welcome presence in every TV show/movie he popped up in.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Owen

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 13, 2022 7:03 pm

Damn. Just today I was reading Josh Miller’s old “Franchise Me” installment for Tremors. I’ve been meaning to rewatch that and The Right Stuff for ages. Truly a leading man who mostly ended up with a character actor’s career, but every movie is was in was the better for it.

Headless Fett and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
Chief Zabu

Chief Zabu

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 13, 2022 7:29 pm

Owen wrote:
Damn. Just today I was reading Josh Miller’s old “Franchise Me” installment for Tremors. I’ve been meaning to rewatch that and The Right Stuff for ages. Truly a leading man who mostly ended up with a character actor’s career, but every movie is was in was the better for it.

Fuckin' A, Bubba!
Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyThu May 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Blade Runner fans, pour out a glass of your favorite noir libation - Vangelis has gone on to the Great Wall O' Keyboards in the Sky.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 20, 2022 9:11 am

John Aylward, likely best known as Dr Anspaugh on the NBC show ER, has passed.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/19/entertainment/john-aylward-dead/index.html

I was shocked to find out he was "only" 75. Dude looked over 70 for the past 20 years.
Back to top Go down
Owen

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri May 20, 2022 9:42 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Blade Runner fans, pour out a glass of your favorite noir libation - Vangelis has gone on to the Great Wall O' Keyboards in the Sky.

Between Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire, he was responsible for two of the most distinctive, iconic movie scores of the ‘80s. You will be fondly remembered, Evangelos Papathanasiou.
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptySat May 21, 2022 12:14 am

commodorejohn wrote:

It's been raining all night so far.  Propping open my windows and listeing to this:

Also, I should break out my vinyl of the score. I bought it in Los Angeles, November 2019 (Yes, I made the trip mostly because of that)
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyThu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Judas Booth

Judas Booth

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyThu May 26, 2022 4:01 pm

Alan White of Yes, 72
Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode, 60

Grim Reaper needs to find a bar somewhere and relax.
Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyThu May 26, 2022 4:09 pm

Weird timing. When I switched onto the "MTV Classics" channel last night, they were playing the video for "Master and Servant".
Back to top Go down
https://countingdown.forumotion.com
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyThu May 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Judas Booth wrote:
Alan White of Yes, 72
Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode, 60

Grim Reaper needs to find a bar somewhere and relax.

THE FUCK?!?!?!?
Back to top Go down
DailyRich

DailyRich

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptySat May 28, 2022 6:10 pm

Bo Hopkins, who did a bunch of Peckinpah's but was best know to me as the leader of the Pharaohs in American Graffiti.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/bo-hopkins-dead-american-graffiti-the-wild-bunch-1235280660/
Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyThu Jun 02, 2022 1:29 am

Dave Smith, found of synthesizer manufacturer Sequential Circuits. Not a household name, outside of a particular niche, but it's hard to overstate his impact on taking electronic music mainstream - he pioneered the use of microprocessor control of analog audio circuits, making polyphonic synthesizers an affordable(-ish) reality, and co-created the MIDI control standard. If you've ever found yourself grooving to Thriller, the Terminator theme, "Let's Go," "In The Air Tonight," or countless other '80s classics, thank a nerd from San Francisco.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 pm

Former Bon Jovi bassist Alec John Such has passed; he was 70. No cause of death was given.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/05/1103173736/alec-john-such-dies-former-bon-jovi-bassist
Back to top Go down
Chaz Rock City

Chaz Rock City

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 1:11 am

In honor of Alec John Such
Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyTue Jun 07, 2022 1:23 am

Says something when a guy can make the bass stand out in a bombast-up-to-eleven track like "You Give Love a Bad Name," but damned if I can't still remember that little octave-up sting going into the chorus.
Back to top Go down
Owen

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread EmptyFri Jun 10, 2022 9:51 am

It’s posted over at Trouble City, but it deserves a post here too.

Julee Cruise, at the age of 65. Best known for Twin Peaks, and she also worked with the B-52’s, Bobby McFerrin, and many others. Half of Twin Peaks is its sound, and she was half of that sound, along with Angelo Badalamenti. She’ll be serenading us at the Roadhouse for eternity.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/julee-cruise-rest-in-peace-1956-2022/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dead Celebrity Thread   The Dead Celebrity Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dead Celebrity Thread
Page 1 of 1