CountingDown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CountingDown

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Go down 
+9
Headless Fett
chrknudsen
Dock Fight
The Schlocketeer
Bucho
Belloq87
Chief Zabu
Doc Happenin
First Class 782
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
First Class 782

Avatar 2: The Way of Water Empty
PostSubject: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 9:01 am

The teaser is dropping on Thursday night (with a weeklong theatrical exclusivity with Dr. Strange 2) so I figured I'd break the seal here. I'm sure it will be long on visuals and short on dialogue and plot (similar to the first Avatar teaser way back in 2009). Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what Cameron has done with the new toys over the past decade.
Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 9:25 am

It's such an odd film and projected series. It's not live action in any meaningful way, but it's not being billed as animated (which it essentially is).

Worthington remains a big ZERO in terms of presence, charisma, and ability to transcend what was a very tropey story. Cameron's strong point has never been dialogue or plot innovation, so he needs strong leads to help infuse the film with energy that elevates. I know in this case, the visuals are doing 90% of the heavy lifting, but having such a dud as the lead remains a negative for me.

I'm sure I'll see this at some point, but unless reliable reviews and/or WOM are very strong, this will be something I watch at home.
Back to top Go down
Doc Happenin

Doc Happenin

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 11:03 am

At long last, Zoe Saldana can stop being a green space badass and return to her roots of being a BLUE space badass. This is the way...of water.

Dock Fight and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 11:26 am

But will Worthington take it...to the next level?
Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 12:18 pm

I mean, it's gonna be worth seeing in the theater for sheer spectacle if nothing else; I'm just not particularly optimistic about it delivering much better on the story level than the first did. Cameron is never not worth a watch, but it's a pretty consistent trend over the course of his career that his stories have gotten thinner and hackier as his action and spectacle have gotten bigger and fancier.

The Schlocketeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
First Class 782

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 2:27 pm

I think Cameron is well worth seeing in theater. His spectacle tends to be more advanced than typical Hollywood spectacle, because I'd argue he is also a master of story construction and organic tonal progress. Argue about the story all you want, but his script structures tend to be ironclad, and he is still the best director of big budget action working today. When Spielberg wants to give him a run, he's capable of it, but that is about it.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 2:56 pm

I just want to take the time to point out that the title being announced as Avatar: The Way of Water confirmed a scoop a couple years back about what all of the subtitles for the sequels are. So, assuming none of them have changed, I think we can mine a lot of discussion out of this roster alone...

I'm still disappointed that one of them isn't subtitled "Quaritch's Revenge". That fan suggestion always sounded delightfully old school videogame-y to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 6:39 pm

Incredibly ambitious to think enough of the audience wants 4 more Avatar films, but then that's Iron Jim in a nutshell really. Totally looking forward to Avatar 2 on the big screen anyway. Sure Worthington the human wasn't that charismatic but Worthington the Thundercat has potential.
Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 7:11 pm

Yaknow, it's gonna be pretty funny if, in the last thirteen years, Worthington went and actually developed charisma and acting ability.
Back to top Go down
Jones

Jones

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 7:25 pm

Thinking about it, there's no way Avatar 2 can end on a 'happy' ending. If they want to make 3 further sequels then surely the only way for Avatar 2 (at least) to end is for the evil humans to decimate everything. But it's a tricky tightrope because you don't want to bum the audience out this early into the franchise.
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyWed May 04, 2022 7:51 pm

The Schlocketeer wrote:

Avatar 2: The Way of Water 4706-smilingspiderman

In all seriousness I hope Cameron doesn't go overboard with the spectacle (like the first) and delivers a story that isn't thinner than the gravy they serve at Swiss Chalet.

HP Pufncraft and The Schlocketeer like this post

Back to top Go down
Chief Zabu

Chief Zabu

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyThu May 05, 2022 7:31 pm

If something's going to bring me back to the theatre, it's going to be Cameron. Even with a Swiss Chalet gravy-thin plot you know you're gonna get a full sucrose-laden Toblerone spectacle bonus (only a Canadian is gonna get this) - probably in 4D, Sensurround and Smell-O-Vision.

Headless Fett likes this post

Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyFri May 06, 2022 5:15 pm

Saw the trailer. Looks pretty. Doesn’t really tell you much what it’s about besides being a demo presentation.
Back to top Go down
https://countingdown.forumotion.com
Belloq87

Belloq87

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyFri May 06, 2022 11:17 pm

Good imagery in the teaser, certainly.

I'm curious about how Cameron is going to keep the story from being a pure retread... because it sure feels like it's heading that way.
Back to top Go down
Bucho

Bucho

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptySat May 07, 2022 12:10 am

I saw the OG Avatar twice on big screens (and before that I saw the opening 15 minutes or whatever back when they were screening that as a promo) but I've never seen it on a TV. Because I'm afraid to.
Back to top Go down
The Schlocketeer

The Schlocketeer

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptySun May 08, 2022 9:48 pm

Belloq87 wrote:
Good imagery in the teaser, certainly.

I'm curious about how Cameron is going to keep the story from being a pure retread... because it sure feels like it's heading that way.

Especially with Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, and even Matt Gerald coming back. Pretty much every notable cast member from the original returns, even if their character died, save for Michelle Rodriguez. She must have really pissed Cameron off or something.

I enjoy Avatar more than most, but it felt like a closed off story. In many ways, I suspect this first sequel will be like him starting over again and actually having to flesh out the world so it can sustain multiple entries. I just hope it doesn't feel too repetitive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theschlocketeer.com
Dock Fight
Dock Fight

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 11:31 am

Trailer has officially dropped. No Papyrus font, though!

The Schlocketeer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 1:00 pm

Man, Horizon Forbidden West is really looking good...wait... I'm being handed a note...

Headless Fett and Doc Happenin like this post

Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 3:18 pm

Ten bucks says Disney sabotages this at the box office like most of their other 20th Century titles.

“Whoops, guess nobody these movies!”

And then the 20th century brand gets carted off into a warehouse, placed right next to Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures.
Back to top Go down
chrknudsen

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 3:43 pm

Boy, that trailer really does absolutely nothing for me. "Well, that's a thing, I guess."
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 3:52 pm

chrknudsen wrote:
Boy, that trailer really does absolutely nothing for me. "Well, that's a thing, I guess."

Pretty much my reaction. I'd be hard pressed to spot any big VFX advances here since 2009 (Not saying there aren't any, but I think we're approaching a plateau in CGI as a whole, short of perfecting digital photo realistic people)
Back to top Go down
Headless Fett

Headless Fett

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 3:53 pm

You can't say it doesn't look spectacular but waiting 13 years to release the sequel is going to work against it.
Back to top Go down
Mondguy

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 3:56 pm

Yeah, that's another problem. That unique 'wow' factor isn't a guarantee anymore.
Back to top Go down
commodorejohn

commodorejohn

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Oh, you say that, but wait 'til you find out what kinds of alien genitals are in store this time!
Back to top Go down
Stockslivevan
Admin
Stockslivevan

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water EmptyMon May 09, 2022 4:20 pm

I’m not really looking for a wow factor with these. That’s probably how Cameron wants to hype them up like last time, but I’m ignoring that whole aspect. I just want to have an enjoyable time at the movies like I did with the first, especially if the 3D is as good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Avatar 2: The Way of Water   Avatar 2: The Way of Water Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CountingDown :: Media :: CountingDown-
Jump to: